The number of flood-damaged cars are increasing because of unpredictable natural disaster (typhoon) or even just due to crazy rains that caused some areas into flooding. If your vehicle is affected or near devastated then you have a serious problem. But, don’t panic instead, follow these steps that will help you evaluate the damage:
Don’t dare start the car! Typical car owner’s first reaction is to turn on the ignition to check if the car still works but we advise not to opt for this action as this will bring a bunch of risks and may cause more problem beyond repair.
How far does the vehicle submerge? Check the water line, if it reached the dashboard considered it complicated and call an expert
DYI cleaning. To start drying out your flooded car and avoid stinky odor and molds, open all the car doors, remove all wet items from the interior such as wet carpet, dashboard (if you can) floor mats, insulation and foam rubber in the seats as well as upholstery. Deciding if all the interior stuff is salvageable and replaceable or not is another question.
How about fluids and filters? Car fuel filter, coolant, transmission, brake and power steering reservoir needs to be check. If any seemed contaminated with the water, you should drain and dry it as this can lead to a lot of problems. Like, submerge brake system can lose its power while water in the transmission will cause of lack of lubrication and rust.
Let’s go with the electrical! Investigate brake, signal and hazard lights, air conditioning and headlights. Also check the power locks, audio, and video system as well as power window. If any of these doesn’t perform the way it should then it’s a sign of trouble.
Check it under. Submerge car collects a lot of dirt hidden inside or under the body that causes rust damage. Thus raise the car, securely inspect or remove the tire and wheels wash the mud and dry.
Considering you have followed these steps, still, you have to get ready for the worst scenario such as:
- Dry and clean flooded car parts might not last too long
- Water- logged car system will not function the way it used to be
- Mechanical and electrical issues will soon arrive
Obviously, flood-damaged car is a case to case basis, restoration may vary depending on your issue nevertheless, you have an option of leaving the task in the hands of the expert and a qualified mechanic, hence, New York City Auto Salvage and Glass can give you a hand in one call, dial 718-297-9797 and worry no more.
Generally, the average of car’s life calculation is about 8 to 10 years or 150.000 to 200.000 miles, if you pass it through most often than not, you will encounter some mechanical or other related troubles. Now, replaced or repair? This common question usually occurs in mind most likely if you feel like your vehicle’s condition is unstable, and it is very difficult to decide especially if you consider your auto as a jewel or if it has a sentimental value.
Consider the following facts that can help you determine if you should let go of your car or just opt to restoration.
Repair might be your first option but does it fit with the situation? Can you meet the following expenses?
- Engine and cylinder damage is one thing that you never want to show up as it has an estimated cost of $6, 000 to $10,000
- Replacing your car battery is a no cheap action you have to raise $6,000 out of your pocket
- One of the complicated issues is when you have a transmission problem if you experienced gear slipping and burning smell (when driving) then prepare your $4,000 for repair
- Suspension overhaul (comprised of shocks, control arms, and spring) might give you a headache as it cost $3,000 to $5,000 in order to bring it back into shape
- Important car part is the camshaft and when it is broken repair cost could be $2,000 or more
- Head gasket maybe cheap but the labor cost when you are aiming to replace it is around $ 1,500
Replace would be your second thought considering that it will surely cost a lot in a one time (unless, installment) payment. Are you ready for these?
- Brand new car is, of course, expensive depending on what brand or car type you wish to have. Cheapest car price varies from $12,995 to $17, 651
- You need to pay your car insurance, which most likely around $1, 905 you can have a bit cheaper (or higher) it depends upon the rate given by your chosen insurance agency
- Registration and licensing fees might be affordable on your end, but don’t forget that it is part of your expenses
Finally, the moment to decide has arrived, run the numbers and compare the repair cost and the amount you are going to pay when you opt to replace your car. Which side suits you best? If you still uncertain with your decision let me ease up your troubles, dial (718) 297 9797 and we will help you check your old car and give advice.
Having pets especially dogs is a rewarding feeling. Many say that human can break your heart but dogs can break your seats, but not your heart. What if there will come a time that you need to bring your pet and give it a ride in your car? That your travel buddy has four legs instead of two. What are the things that you need to keep in mind?
Listed below are some of the things you needed to check and pay attention with so you won’t be embarrassed to give human a ride afterwards.
Invest Some Time Grooming Your Dog
If your dog is shedding, brush or comb your pup before leaving the house to keep excess hair out of your vehicle. To protect the car seats, you can take your dog to a pet groomer to trim the nails so it will lessen the chance to scratch the car leather seat. You can also use seat covers to protect the outside of your seat.
One Vehicle Intended for your Canine Buddy
Owning multiple cars? If yes, then use only one car if you are traveling with your canine buddy. You will save yourself from the tremendous cleaning and pay attention to just one car.
Keep your pets in one area
You can use a crate, seat-belt harness or just keep your dog in the back area of your vehicle, containing your pup in a smaller area means less mess and hair to clean later.
Save your Seats
Leather is a big no, no when you have a pet whose toenails are similar to a witch! They will scratch and destroy it even before you know it. You can use a blanket or an old sheet to cover up. In that way, you only not protect your seats but also you can easily collect the hair or furs with you.
Use T-shirts for Heavy Shedders
Lightweight t-shirt is your saviour here if your pup is a heavy shredder. Let them wear one. Tie the loose part in their belly to secure it. Yes, I know you are thinking that it cannot contain all the hair but it is way better than none, right?
Prepare a handy dandy cleaning kit
Bring with you the following in case you needed them: paper towels or tissue, wipes, dog brush, plastic bags, tweezers or anything you can use to remove ticks, a spare small bottle with soap and water for the ticks, and of course, dog treats (for reward). Oh, don’t forget to bring a bottle of water for rinsing.Just like you have a human baby with you? I know right!
Clean the area right away (Clean your pet, too!)
Once your pet leaves the car, it is advisable to clean as prompt as possible. Shake off the extra blanket on your seats outside of your car to remove the initial hair. Also, rinse your dog’s feet or wipe the excess dirt before letting them enter your car again to minimize the dust and dirt.
Yes! You can take your furbaby for a joy ride and adventures without your vehicle becoming a stinky, muddy furmobile. With a little planning plus equipped with your cleaning kit, you’ll always be ready for the worst. Then, by taking just a few minutes to clean your car when you return home, your vehicle can still be a pristine, sweet-smelling ride for your next journey out on the town.
Who does not want a sparkling car? Every car owner does! Not just for a show but also for resale value. But how will you achieve that? One of the most essential ways to maintain your car is to clean it; either bringing it to a shop for a car wash or doing it all by yourself.
Off course, car shop knows how to do it. They are doing it for business, right? But what if you will need to clean your car using your hands. How to do it? Time to get yourself dirty and productive with these following tips.
- Do not clean your car when it is hot. Hot just like immediately after driving or after parking it in direct sunlight. Cool it down first.
- Wear comfortable clothes. Nothing beats cleaning your car with comfy feeling. Also, stay away from wearing belts, clothes with zipper or snaps especially when you need to reach the top of your car. This can cause scratches to your car paint.
- Be mindful of the cleaning agent you are using. Dishwashing liquid (if you prefer DIY solution) is okay to windshield and side mirrors but a big no, no to car’s dashboard and paint. Remember, dishwashing liquid is grease stripper so anything that has to do with wax is not friendly to dishwashing liquid.
- Remove any accessories like a ring, watch, or bracelets that can cause unwanted scratches in your car’s paint.
- Read the back of the package of the car care products before using them. It pays to pay attention on how to use them to maximize and achieve best results.
- Rinse all surfaces thoroughly with water first before washing them to remove debris and other dirt that can stick to your sponge to avoid scratching the coat.
- Use a separate sponge for your wheels and for the body of the car.
- It is best to have designated chamois or towels for each section of your car.
- Do clean your car per one section at a time. Once done in one section, rinse it well. This is to avoid drying the soap in the car’s paint which can leave unnecessary marks.
Should you have any other tips? Give us your thoughts.
I want to buy a used decent car but I don’t know where to start. When you are looking consider this following tips, hope this help you drive yourself an enjoyable car.
First, research the car you are looking for, you don’t want to waste your cash for nothing. Research the car, the pros and cons of having this kind car, and the availability of the parts for maintenance. If it is possible to know its history, then do so.
A car within your reach. Look for a car that is in your budget, there will always be a car for you that fits in your budget that will be very useful to you. Don’t forget to ask for discounts. Used cars are oftentimes negotiable.
Second thoughts? Have someone to be with you when looking for a car. It could be your partner, a relative or a friend who may know about cars or someone that knows your needs when it comes to having a car. Four eyes and two brains are better to meticulously find that car of yours.
The most important part, the CAR itself have an inspection checklist. Always inspect in broad daylight it will help you see the car inside out. Check for damage and rust look underneath the car check on the seams, the frame rails, the car flooring and also the trunk because those are the usual parts where rust tend to start. This also includes the paint, the paint is the first line of protection against the environment and also the one that gives that impression of “I want that car!” because of the paint job. Check for dents and scratches, the lesser of these problems the better. Check the doors, hood, and the trunk door, overtime these parts tend to not close firmly so it’s better to check them. We don’t want it to open while driving.
The heart of the car, the ENGINE. If possible start the engine, listen to it. It should run smooth in acceleration, deceleration and while driving. The temperature should always be in the safe range and not overheating. Any unusual rattling or vibrations could mean there’s something wrong with the engine. Check also for oil leaks; it could be from the engine itself, suspension, steering or brakes to avoid an unwanted accident.
The inside of the car. Check for the interiors, seats, dashboard, and carpeting. It’s better if the car has no history of flooding. Check the seat belts to make sure it is in good condition. Pay attention to the buckles and the belt itself; they should be cut-free.
Furthermore, check the gauges, if they are accurate. The fuel, speed and temperature gauge. They are telling you what is happening as you drive the car.
The accessories, additional features of the car. It’s good if all the accessories are intact when you inspect the car, it has good ventilation hot and cold weather, sound system, and car lighter socket for phone charging, it’s always better to maximize the whole car.
Ask for a test drive. It’s like meeting the person face to face or working with a work mate, this can help you develop on overall impression on the car you are wanting to buy.
And if you are still in doubt with everything, an EXPERIENCED SALVAGE YARD can help you. At New York City Auto salvage and Glass, we have a wide range of used cars for sale of any makes at an affordable price. We sell quality second-hand cars and we have staff in the yard to look after you. So if you are decided to buy yourself a good driving companion, just give us a call at (718) 297 9797 and we can help you!
Just like our body, cars need air filters to protect the inside and to function well. Dust, dirt and other debris can cause damage when entering the engine cylinder. The job of the air filter is to strain all the unwanted from entering the engine to ensure proper and optimal performance. However, examining and replacing the air filter is often times overlooked and just being paid attention when the damage or the problem has been done.
But it is not most of the time that you really need to replace it. Sometimes, the simplest and easiest thing is the most efficient and effective – check and clean it. It is not bad to replace it frequently as it won’t harm your vehicle, but you should be ready to spend. Your wallet should be prepared for the expenses.
When to replace your air filter?
- The standard replacement is every 15,000 to 30,000 miles.
- If you are driving in dusty roads, it is safe to frequently check the air filter even if you still haven’t reached the said range.
- Air filters vary per manufacturer. Check the manufacturer’s schedule maintenance to know the best time to replace it. Though it looks clean, it may become brittle overtime.
Common symptoms that your car filter needs cleaning or changing
- Decrease in gas mileage. When the filter is clogged, the amount of air entering the engine also decreases. As a result, the engine needs to work harder thus using more gasoline to run efficiently.
- Fouled spark plugs
What can you benefit with clean air filter?
- Longer life for your car’s engine
- Improved gas mileage
- Lower emission
- Better acceleration
- Will save you from too many expenses caused by damages in vital parts of your car due to dirt, dust, and debris.
It pays to check your car air filter regularly. It is easy and will definitely save your time and money from the hustle and bustle of complications caused by dirty and clogged air filters.
It cannot be denied that there is a big differential growth in different economies around the globe. One of the best examples is the US economy as of now it’s dealing the aftermaths of the Global Financial Recession. The rumors are true. The US economy remains stagnant, and while you may feel helpless to do anything about it. Little did you know that one of the best ways you can help the situation is by junking that old car you’ve had lying around for years? Yes, you heard it right! Selling your junk car not only means you’ll get cash quickly, but it’s also great for the economy.
Junking just one car has been shown to save a huge amount of resources like iron, coal, and barrels of crude oil. In addition to providing those raw materials which can be used for industrial manufacturing, when a car is recycled there is a 90% savings in raw materials, when compared to mining for these items, and a 75% savings in energy. The more energy we save; the more resources we conserve. Top auto salvage yards spend a lot of their resources ensuring that salvage vehicles are recycled to the fullest and that our environment is not affected by those efforts. So what are other ways does Salvage Yards help the economy if you may ask? It’s astonishing, but the junk car industry is responsible for a contribution of more than $65 billion into the U.S. economy. Just by selling your rusty car that you’ve had littering your yard forever, you’re making a huge impact on the economy.
If you would like to have an estimate for your car and want to help the economy, contact New York City Auto Salvage and Glass at 718-297-9797. We service areas throughout Jamaica, Queens, and NYC, and we have a reputation for providing top dollar for junk cars. We also have a Facebook page so you can follow us on our latest news.
Car is one of the most expensive investments someone may have. For car enthusiasts, they treat it like their own baby. Oh well, just like a baby, you don’t want it to have annoying scratches and most of all dents. Such a big no, no and no!
Ever imagine yourself having a bad day with just parking your car in front of a supermarket then a push cart just bump it? And boom! There is a dent in your beloved car. Sometimes, inevitable hailstorm causes wreak havoc and leave noticeable dents. How frustrating, isn’t it? Worst is you don’t have a choice but to deal with those dents. Unless you have this super magical power and you can remove dents by just staring, you might want to consider the following ways.
- Use a Plunger and Water
First and foremost, I would suggest using a different plunger and not the one you use in your toilets (If you don’t have spare, just make sure to clean it first, okay?). This method is ideal for small-to-medium-sized dents. The procedure is just easy. All you need to do is to pour water on both the dent and the plunger and start pushing and pulling. Remember how you use the plunger in your toilet, it’s just the same. Continue doing so until you hear the popping sound.
By the way, it is much better if you will do it on a sunny day and outside. The heat from the sun makes the plastic become flexible allowing you to push and pull easier. Another technique is by using boiling water. Just replace the “water” with boiling water and go through the same steps.
- Hair Dryer and Compressed Air Combo
Not only hair dryer is popular to girls, it is to men now. Do you know that this small equipment along with compressed air can do wonders to your car dents?
Start off by switching on your hair dryer at highest temperature and heat the car dent. Note that it should be between 5 to 7 inches away from the dent. When you notice that the heat is enough (too much can cause damage to paint), get your compressed air can. Don’t forget to turn it upside down before starting spraying the affected area. You will see that the dent will pop out.
- Hair Dryer plus Dry Ice
Remember how we used the hair dryer in Number 2? The same thing applies here. The only difference is instead of compressed air, we are going to use dry ice. This method requires extra caution not only with your car’s paint but also to your skin.
Say that you already heated the dent, now get an aluminum foil and cover it. Not only that aluminum foil will keep the area warm, it will also serve as protection from scratches since dry ice is hard. Now, get your insulated rubber-coated gloves and grab the ice. Gently brush the ice on top of the aluminum foil. Once you are done, wait for few minutes until you hear a popping sound. Remove and dispose foil after used.
All these three ways might not be enough after single application. You may repeat the process when there are still noticeable dents but do not overuse. Remember the saying, “too much is bad”.
If all else fails…
Consult your nearest auto repair shop and bring your baby for inspection. Better be sure than sorry. We at New York City Auto Salvage & Glass, offers this kind of service. We also have cheap used auto parts if you need one. Take note, we are offering free delivery. So what are yah waitin’ for? Drop us by and we are happy to serve you.
It is a fact that nothing lasts forever and sadly, so is our cars. No matter how we care for them, that time will come that we need to let go of it whether we want to buy a new one, emergency financial need, or we just want sell it. Here on this article are 7 things to consider when you decide to sell it.
- Organized paper works such as registrations, bills and etc.
Make sure that the paper works such as mentioned above are ready. When you want to sell your car, it is an essential part of the transaction when transferring the deeds to the new owner. A registered car is more likely to be sold easier so if your car is registered up to date, your car is easy to sell.
- Inspection and Road worthiness of your car.
You may not know your potential buyer personally and for that it’s your responsibility as the seller to ensure the safety of the car you are selling. Engine, brakes, tires, chassis, interiors, lights, and clutch are inspected and it is recommended to be done by a shop for reassurance. On the other hand, if it’s not drivable, there are salvage yards like us New York City Auto Salvage and Glass who are paying cash for junk or cars to be wrecked. You can consider that as an alternative.
- Make it more profitable, return your car to stock.
When you have the chance to modify your car, for example, aftermarket mag wheels, stereos, seats, or suspension, you can make the most of your car if you return it to stock. Sell your car separately from the aftermarket parts you installed. The same way you will do with the parts, sell them separately and you will make more profit with your car.
- First impressions last.
Make your car presentable. After we make sure the safety of our car, we have to ensure that it is clean and looking at its best. We can put in in a car wash, put some wax and tire black, clean the dashboard, if your car smells old, you can put some air freshener and wash the upholstery to make it smell better. A fresh looking car is the one that meets the eye.
- Publicity is another key.
Advertise and post your car for sale in classified ads, social media and word by mouth to sell your car. Make the use of the web by advertising to reach more people. The more people you reach, the easier it is to sell.
- Just be honest.
Tell the history of your car, if there is something wrong in the car during the sale then tell it. If it got involved in an accident relate it or whether its flooded. It is always best to be honest. In the end you will have no regrets.
Then there you have it the 6 simple ways to do when you decide to let go of your car. If you need some parts to repair your car, why not go to New York City Auto Salvage and Glass. Just contact us at (718) 297-9797). We are happy to serve you.
We all know that tires are one of the most “should be well taken care of” parts of a car. Not only it will save your life in the road and provide you a better ride but also will save your pocket with future major expenses.
Here are the reasons why you should (if you haven’t done so) pay attention in taking care of your car’s tire:
- It will help you save money
Regular maintenance, rotation, inspection and alignment can help you save money. These activities can extend the life of your tires allowing you to not buy often. Also, checking the tire’s pressure is essential. Do you know that under inflated tire wear out faster? On the other hand, overinflated tire has a tendency to blow out easily.
- It will help you save money on fuel
Proper inflation pressure is a must. When your tire is under inflated, your car is using excess fuel. Not only that. Since under inflated tires have higher rolling resistance, your engine needs to double work to move your vehicle.
- It ensures safety
Who would have wanted to get engaged in a car accident? No one but it actually happens, right? And the common reasons are poor tire tread, exceeding the load capacity and not being aware of your car tires condition. As a tip, don’t be shy to use your spare tire especially if you notice that something is wrong with one of your tires.
So the good question now is, “How to take care of your tires?”
It’s simple and easy. RMA or the Rubber Manufacturers Association advises you to remember this: “Be Tire Smart – Play Your PART (Pressure, Alignment, Rotation, Tread)”.
- Pressure – As mentioned a while ago, proper inflation pressure is a must. It should not be under or overinflated.
- Alignment – Have a tire dealer check your tire to see if your car is properly aligned.
- Rotation – It is the process of removing your tires and move to a different position. The reason for this is to make sure that tires wear evenly so they can last longer. Unless specified in your vehicle’s owner’s manual, rotation should be done approximately 5000-8000 miles.
- Tread – One way to see if your tire tread is healthy is by using a penny. Simply insert the penny with Lincoln’s head upside down and facing you. Now, if you can see all Lincoln’s head, then you should replace your tire immediately.
We had a saying that prevention is better than cure or better be safe than sorry and those apply here. Why take the risk of having a ride with a poor tire if you can replace it in the first place? If you worry about the expenses, you really don’t need to buy a new tire. You can also consider salvage yards. Just like with us, we have different types of wheels just right for your car. And we guarantee you that they are safe and sound to use. If you wanted to check for yourself, drop us by. We are conveniently located in Jamaica and Queens. We also have cheap used auto parts, just in case you needed one. So, see yah!
Are you looking for alternatives to become more environmental friendly with your car? We can help protect our mother earth by following these four simple steps to make our car more efficiently and green! Not only to help Mother Nature but also helping yourself against any unexpected trouble in the road.
- Make a vehicle service schedule by including steps like conditioning engine performance, keeping tires well inflated, replacing air filters regularly, changing oil on a regular basis and check the quality of your gas cap. Routine maintenance helps reduce dark smoke emissions and fuel consumption to save money.
- If you maintain and look after your current car, there we go with step number 2. You can limit the number of new cars you buy over the course of a lifetime. Extending your car’s road worthiness is as simple as investing and saving. You’ll gain years of reliable service without monthly car payments and higher insurance rates.
- Repair your engine when faced with serious engine trouble. A re-manufactured/rebuilt engine can give your car new life and make it more fuel efficient for about the cost of an average down payment on a new car.
- Recycle or properly dispose used motor oil, old tires, flat batteries, fluids and other vehicle components to help protect the planet when performing vehicle maintenance or repairs. You can do this by visiting a salvage yard near your place.
Being a responsible motorist and performing basic vehicle maintenance goes a long way toward protecting the environment and improving fuel economy. To help motorists “go green,” New York City Auto Salvage and Glass has junk yard facility that can refurbish these materials. It is always good maintaining our car without harming our environment. If you are looking for a salvage yard, just call us at (718) 297 9797. We are happy to be of any service to you.